WHO WE ARE
The National Youth Council is a state corporation domiciled in the Ministry of ICT,Innovation and Youth Affairs which came into being after the enactment of National Youth Policy (NYP) (2007) and the National Youth Council (NYC) Act (2009). The NYC Act 2009 was operationalized in December 2012 following nationwide wide youth elections held as per the NYC Election Guidelines 2011. The need to have a National Youth Council was created after heightened attention to youth issues in response to the post-election violence experienced in the country in January 2008 and in adherence to international obligations on youth empowerment specifically, the African Youth Charter. The Council is a youth empowerment platform and provides an elaborate structure that facilitates the participation and inclusion of the youth in governance, national affairs and ensures programmes are youth centered and driven
To enhance youth capacity and active participation in social, political and economic prosperity through strategic consultations, engagements and partnerships.
To be the dynamic institution championing youth empowerment, unity and inclusion for National prosperity and stability.
- Equity and Fairness
- Integrity and Accountability
- Innovativeness and Creativity
- Inclusiveness and Diversity
- Volunteerism and Community service
PROGRAMMES AND ACTIVITIES
- Research on youth issues Dialogues (Intergenerational)
- Town halls and youth Cafes
- Leadership and governance training
- Youth nomination to decision making bodies
- Youth mobilization for national and international events/ activities
- Support policy development to ensure inclusion of the youth agenda
- County Youth Empowerment forums- Sports, talent shows, cultural festival, exchange programs and much more
- Joint activities with stakeholders
The Council has registered a number of achievements since its establishment in the year 2012. Notable among them is the following;
- Setting up theSecretariat
- Development of NYC Strategic Plan (SP), launch and implementation: Development and Approval of Human Resource (HR)Instruments
- Delinking and independence in Council operations
- Social media presence, Production and distribution of IECmaterials
- Events-intergenerational dialogue forum, pre-devolution youth conference, international youth day celebration
- Media briefs and Pressers
- Inaugural National Youth Convention -June 2014
- The Council Lobbied for implementation mainstreaming and inclusion of youth in governance. The Council has secured representation in: National Employment authority (NEA), Youth Enterprise Development Fund (YEDF), National Council for Nomadic Education of Kenya (NACONEK), National Anti-Corruption Campaign Steering Committee (NACCSC).
- At the Counties levels,the Council has lobbied for youth representation and inclusion to be anchored in legislation.
- The NYC played a central role in the review of the National Youth Policy (NYP) (2007) and the NYC Act, 2009. The NYC Bill (2019) is currently at parliament.